Local to you
Our regional offices provide national coverage and tailor-made local services.
We recognise the importance of environmental protection and continue to look for opportunities to reduce our carbon footprint. For a number of years we have been monitoring our operational carbon footprint and environmental impact based on calculations in line with DEFRA guidelines.
We’re working towards ISO 140001 and a number of customer and colleague initiatives which we hope to launch in the near future.
Speedy Freight recognises the importance of environmental protection and is committed to operating its business responsibly and in fulfilment of its compliance obligations relating to Same day couriers transporting freight on dedicated deliveries. Speedy Freight will measure its impact on the environment and set targets for ongoing improvement.
The Company will comply with all relevant environmental legislation. Speedy Freight will increase franchisee & employee awareness through training and encourage the adoption of similar principles by its customers, suppliers and other stakeholders.
It is the Speedy Freight’s objective to carry out all measures reasonably practicable to meet, exceed or develop all necessary or desirable requirements, to protect the environment and to continually improve the Environmental Management System to enhance environmental performance through the implementation of the following:
- Assess and regularly re-assess the environmental effects of the Organisation’s activities
- Training of employees in environmental issues
- Minimise the production of waste
- Minimise material wastage
- Minimise energy wastage
- Promote the use of recyclable and renewable materials
- Prevent pollution in all its forms
- Control noise emissions from operations
- Minimise the risk to the general public and employees from operations and activities undertaken by the Organisation.
Top management demonstrates leadership and commitment with respect to the Environmental Management System by:
- Taking accountability for the effectiveness of the Environmental Management System
- Ensuring that the Environmental Policy and Environmental Objectives are established and are compatible with the strategic direction and the context of the Organisation
- Ensuring the integration of the Environmental Management System requirements into the Organisation’s business processes
- Ensuring that the resources needed for the Environmental Management System are available
- Communicating the importance of effective environmental management and of conforming to the environmental management system requirements
- Ensuring that the Environmental Management System achieves its intended outcomes
- Directing and supporting persons to contribute to the effectiveness of the environmental management system
- Promoting continual improvement
- Supporting other relevant management roles to demonstrate their leadership as it applies to their areas of responsibility.
Policy aims, we endeavour to:
- Encourage our drivers to drive economically and to take the most direct routes
- Ensure that all of our own LGV’s are Euro 6 vehicles with the latest Euro compliant emissions systems
- Ensure regular servicing, inspection and vehicle controls to ensure ongoing efficiency
- We will promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing
- Minimise the use of paper by utilising electronic systems
- Encourage our customers to take advantage of electronic POD options
- Buy recycled and recyclable paper products
- Reuse and recycle all paper where possible
Energy & water
- Reduce the amount of energy used (pro rata) in offices compared to 2019
- Lights and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use
- Heating will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind
Maintenance, cleaning & waste management
- Cleaning materials used will be as environmentally friendly as possible
- Materials used in office refurbishments will be as environmentally friendly as possible
- Only use licensed and appropriate organisations to dispose of waste
- Encourage all of our franchisees to recycle whenever practicable
- Involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance.
- Update this policy at least once annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
- Provide staff with relevant environmental training.
- Encourage similar principles with our customers, suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors
- Use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community
The Speedy Freight directors are accountable for this policy and the Business Risk & Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for its implementation. All franchisees & employees have a responsibility in their own areas to ensure that the aims are achieved.
- Increase environmental awareness through training
- Create a plan to accomplish carbon neutrality within a realistic timeframe
- Increase the accuracy in reporting Co² emissions
- Strive to reduce the waste sent to landfill by recycling more
- Investigate opportunities to use greener energy and to reduce consumption
- Reduce paper consumption in marketing & accounts through the utilisation of digital technology
- Commit to recycle obsolete IT hardware, furniture & uniforms
- Create at least one electric car charging space on all feasible sites
- Prohibit the use of disposable cups in all our offices
- Introduce a cycle to work scheme
Sourcing products and services responsibly is a fundamental belief and objective of Speedy Freight. We are committed to ensuring that our procurement has a positive environmental impact and benefits society. By working closely with our supply chain, we aim to promote sustainability and continual improvement, resulting in a system that achieves value for money on a life-cycle basis.
This Ethical Procurement Policy has been written to describe how we conduct business with our suppliers, together with the expectations that we have of our suppliers regarding the way that they conduct their business. It applies to all purchases and payments made by Puro Ventures Ltd t/a Speedy Freight and the limited companies franchised to the Speedy Freight brand.read more
To ensure that our suppliers are delivering our ethical sustainability principles, Speedy Freight are committed to:
- Respect fundamental international standards against criminal conduct (like bribery, corruption and fraud) and human rights abuse (like modern slavery); and respond immediately to such matters where they are identified.
- Engage with our supply chain to ensure fairness and ensure that ethical & cultural diversity are promoted in the workplace.
- Materials and services will be sourced from local suppliers whenever possible.
- We will pay our supply chain promptly.
- Waste minimisation and recycling will be in line with our waste management plans aligned to the waste hierarchy.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of supplier performance and refer back to them on a regular basis.
- Actively engage with our suppliers as keeping regular contact with our suppliers is a crucial step to transparency across the wider supply chain.
- Work with suppliers to help them continually adapt and improve on their performance.
- We will work with our clients and our supply chain to set and achieve sustainability targets based on the values and practices of all parties.
- Suppliers will be encouraged to have a full environmental management system in place, such as ISO 14001. A preference will be given to suppliers that hold, or are actively working towards, certification such as these.
- We will reward our supply chain for innovations and development of sustainable practices.
This policy is communicated to all franchisees & colleagues and made available via the company intranet. It is approved by the Managing Director and reviewed annually to ensure that we respond to changes in legislation, business strategy, our franchisee and customer requirements.
To implement this policy and to comply with our legal obligations we have developed processes and procedures that are contained within our management systems. These procedures and processes comply with the requirements of ISO 14001: 2015. Compliance with these procedures is mandatory for all.