Speedy News / by

Brexit deal | What it means for hauliers

Details of the Brexit trade deal are still being released; trade between GB and EU will still require customs and safety declarations from 1st January to ensure compliance.

We are continuing to monitor what has been agreed and will update our clients as soon as further information is available.

Cabotage and cross trade bookings – here’s what you need to know…

Under the Agreement, as a UK haulier, Speedy Freight are able to undertake unlimited bilateral (point-to-point) journeys to and from the EU and unlimited transit journeys through the EU to a non-EU country.

Up to two additional movements in the EU will also be possible – cabotage* or cross-trade** – following a laden journey*** from the UK, with a maximum of one cabotage movement, performed within a 7-day period.

Both additional movements may be cabotage movements in Ireland for Northern Ireland operators, provided they follow a laden journey from Northern Ireland, and are performed within 7 days.

Drivers will still need to:

  • comply with traffic management regulations in Kent, such as Operation Brock, if congestion builds at the border.
  • use Check an HGV is Ready to Cross the Border service before reaching Kent.

*Cabotage is moving goods between two points within one EU Member State e.g. from Paris to Lille.

**Cross-trade is moving goods between two EU Member States, e.g. taking a load from Paris to Brussels.

***A laden journey is a journey where a haulier is moving goods.

What action will we take?

We will check if your journeys are covered by the Trade Cooperation Agreement.

If they aren’t, we will check whether you need an ECMT permit for a third cross-trade journey in the EU, or to make a journey to another country that is part of the ECMT system in January and/or February.

ECMT permits are valid against hauliers with an operating license for HGVs.

Speedy Freight provide our drivers with ECMT permits.

Permits will only be issued for journeys that involve a third cross-trade journey or ECMT member country. We are to provide evidence of previous trips or future contracts.

While demand is assessed permits will only be given to cover journeys that commence in January and February and completed ECMT logbooks must be returned within two weeks of the expiry of the permit. Arrangements for access after February will be confirmed in the New Year.

ECMT permits cannot be used for cabotage journeys.


Which countries need an ECMT permit?

You’ll need an ECMT permit to make journeys to other ECMT member countries that aren’t in the EU or covered by a bilateral arrangement, these are:

Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro.

Further information to help you plan your journey is available at http://gov.uk/transition-haulage

Download our brochure