Our people are the lifeblood of Speedy Freight, the friendly team at the end of the phone for every customer, day or night, weekday or weekend, and our dedicated courier drivers and partners across the UK and Europe.
We aim to support all our colleagues, support them to develop and grow and be there for them when they need us. That’s why we’re a member of Able futures, providing mental health support for all colleagues.
1.1 Modern slavery is a crime and a violation of fundamental human rights. It takes various forms, such as slavery, servitude, forced and compulsory labour and human trafficking, all of which have in common the deprivation of a person’s liberty by another in order to exploit them for personal or commercial gain. We have a zero-tolerance approach to modern slavery and we are committed to acting ethically and with integrity in all our business dealings and relationships and to implementing and enforcing effective systems and controls to ensure modern slavery is not taking place anywhere in our own business or in any of our supply chains.
1.2 We are also committed to ensuring there is transparency in our own business and in our approach to tackling modern slavery throughout our supply chains, consistent with our disclosure obligations under the Modern Slavery Act 2015. We expect the same high standards from all of our contractors, suppliers and other business partners, and as part of our contracting processes, we include specific prohibitions against the use of forced, compulsory or trafficked labour, or anyone held in slavery or servitude, whether adults or children, and we expect that our suppliers will hold their own suppliers to the same high standards.
1.3 This policy applies to all persons working for us or on our behalf in any capacity, including employees at all levels, directors, officers, agency workers, seconded workers, volunteers, interns, agents, contractors, external consultants, third-party representatives and business partners.
Responsibility for the policy
2.1 The Franchisor has overall responsibility for ensuring this policy complies with our legal and ethical obligations, and that all those under our control comply with it.
2.2 The Franchisee has primary and day-to-day responsibility for implementing this policy, monitoring its use and effectiveness, dealing with any queries about it, and auditing internal control systems and procedures to ensure they are effective in countering modern slavery.
2.3 Line managers at all levels are responsible for ensuring those reporting to them understand and comply with this policy and are given adequate and regular training on it and the issue of modern slavery in supply chains.
Compliance with the policy
3.1 You must ensure that you read, understand and comply with this policy.
3.2 The prevention, detection and reporting of modern slavery in any part of our business or supply chains is the responsibility of all those working for us or under our control. You are required to avoid any activity that might lead to, or suggest, a breach of this policy.
3.3 You must notify your manager as soon as possible if you believe or suspect that a conflict with this policy has occurred, or may occur in the future.
3.4 You are encouraged to raise concerns about any issue or suspicion of modern slavery in any parts of our business or supply chains of any supplier tier at the earliest possible stage.
3.5 If you are unsure about whether a particular act, the treatment of workers more generally, or their working conditions within any tier of our supply chains constitutes any of the various forms of modern slavery, raise it with your manager or Head of Procurement.
3.6 We aim to encourage openness and will support anyone who raises genuine concerns in good faith under this policy, even if they turn out to be mistaken. We are committed to ensuring no one suffers any detrimental treatment as a result of reporting in good faith their suspicion that modern slavery of whatever form is or may be taking place in any part of our own business or in any of our supply chains. Detrimental treatment includes dismissal, disciplinary action, threats or other unfavourable treatment connected with raising a concern. If the matter is not remedied, and you are an employee, you should raise it formally using our Grievance Procedure.
Speedy Freight is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive culture amongst the whole workforce. It is within our best interest to promote diversity and eliminate discrimination in the workplace.
Our aim is to ensure that all employees and job applicants are given equal opportunity and that our organisation is representative of all sections of society. Each employee will be respected and valued and able to give their best as a result.
This policy reinforces our commitment to providing equality and fairness to all in our employment and not provide less favourable facilities or treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, or sex and sexual orientation.
We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
All employees, no matter whether they are part-time, full-time, or temporary, will be treated fairly and with respect. When selecting candidates for employment, promotion, training, or any other benefit, it will be based on their aptitude and ability.
All employees will be given help and encouragement to develop their full potential and utilise their unique talents. Therefore, the skills and resources of our organisation will be fully utilised, and we will maximise the efficiency of our whole workforce.
Speedy Freight commitments:
- To create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all team members are recognised and valued.
- To create a working environment that promotes dignity and respect for every employee.
- To not tolerate any form of intimidation, bullying, or harassment, and to discipline those that breach this policy.
- To make training, development, and progression opportunities available to all staff.
- To promote equality in the workplace, which Speedy Freight believes is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
- To encourage anyone who feels they have been subject to discrimination to raise their concerns so we can apply corrective measures.
- To encourage employees to treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- To regularly review all our employment practices and procedures so that fairness is always maintained.
Speedy Freight will inform all employees that an equality and diversity policy is in operation and that they are obligated to comply with its requirements and promote fairness in the workplace. The policy will also be drawn to the attention of stakeholders, customers, contractors, and job applicants.
Speedy Freight equality and diversity policy is fully supported by senior management.
Our policy will be monitored and reviewed annually to ensure that equality and diversity is continually promoted in the workplace.
At Speedy Freight we believe strongly in ethical principles and good stewardship. We are therefore proud to guarantee that we trade according to the following Ethical Trading Criteria:
1. All employment is freely chosen.
2. Working conditions are safe and hygienic.
3. Child labour is not used.
4. Wages are fair and comparable to industry standard and will always exceed the minimum wage.
5. Deductions from wages as a disciplinary measure shall not be permitted.
6. Working hours are not excessive.
7. No discrimination is practised.
8. Regular employment is provided for those who are employed on a permanent contract.
9. No harsh, cruel or degrading treatment or practices are allowed.
10.No bribery, corruption, blackmailing or bullying is permitted.
11.Third Party Suppliers and buyers are both free to sell and buy from any number of other businesses. No restrictions, as a way of guaranteeing business, are allowed.
We also ask all our suppliers to affirm to us that their businesses are also built on these ethical criteria. We have developed a full policy statement outlining how we expect our practice to develop in order to be able to offer strong guarantees to our customers that the services they receive from us have been ethically designed, managed and implemented.
OUR FULL ETHICAL TRADE POLICY STATEMENT
Speedy Freight recognises that our commercial activities have potential to
impact on our suppliers and our locality. As a socially responsible business our suppliers, local community and customers have a right to expect:
- Products sourced by Speedy Freight are produced under working conditions that are hygienic and safe.
· All workers involved in the delivery of services provided by Speedy Freight are treated with full consideration to their basic human rights.
· Speedy Freight acts in an ethical manner above and beyond basic legal requirements.
· Speedy Freight is therefore committed to implementing the principles of the Ethical Trading Initiative Base Code (although we are not members of the ETI).
This policy sets out Speedy Freight’s commitment to its suppliers and customers; setting out the measures we are taking to ensure that we are acting in an ethical manner.
Speedy Freight’s commitment to its suppliers, service providers and customers:
Speedy Freight recognises that our ethical and social performance and reputation is a part of our overall commercial success.
Speedy Freight is committed to ensuring that our employment practices and the enforcement of corporate regulations ensure the protection of the rights of all those who work for us. In many areas we aim to operate above the minimum standards required by law to ensure our employees are safe, rewarded and valued. As we expand we will be able to offer more opportunities for our staff.
Speedy Freight is committed to demonstrating its ethical and social responsibility credentials to enable customers to make informed choices about whose services they purchase.
Speedy Freight is committed to monitoring social standards in our supply chain, and we encourage our suppliers to operate to the same ethical standards we employ ourselves.
Speedy Freight Ethical Trading Code of Practice
3.1 This Code of Practice applies to:
- Staff directly employed by Speedy Freight on temporary or permanent contracts.
· Staff employed or provided by contractors or employment agencies to work on Speedy Freight premises or to undertake work for or on behalf of Speedy Freight.
3.2 No forced, bonded or involuntary labour shall be used.
- All employment with Speedy Freight is freely chosen.
· Staff are free to leave Speedy Freight after reasonable notice.
3.3 No child labour shall be used
- There shall be no recruitment of child labour.
· Children or persons under 16 are not employed at any time, day or night.
Working conditions are safe and hygienic.
- Speedy Freight takes adequate measures to prevent accidents and minimize potential hazards.
· Staff receive regular health & safety training.
· Staff have unrestricted access to toilet facilities and drinking water.
· Speedy Freight has a published Health & Safety Policy.
Working hours and remuneration are reasonable and comparable to othercompanies in our sector and regular employment is provided.
- Staff pay rates are above the national legal minimum standards.
· Staff are not forced to work in excess of 40 hours per week.
· Staff are provided 2 days off per week
· Staff are given written terms and conditions of employment that details the employment relationship between and the respective obligations of the employee and employer, rates of pay, working hours, grievance and disciplinary procedures, holiday entitlement, absence and sick pay rules and notice periods for termination of employment.
· No deductions are made from wages as a disciplinary measure, and pay slips used as a means to avoid obligations under labour or social security laws.
No discrimination is practised:
- There is no discrimination in pay, hiring, compensation, access to training, promotion, and no termination of employment or retirement on the grounds of race, nationality, religion, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, union membership or political affiliation.
· Opportunities for personal and career development are equally available to all employees.
No harassment, threats, abuse or intimidation shall be practised.
Physical, verbal and sexual threats, abuse, harassment or intimidation is expressly prohibited and grounds for summary dismissal, if proved.
Speedy Freight Directors have overall responsibility for all aspects of ethical trading at work within the business.
Looking towards further improvement Speedy Freight are keen to learn from others and would ask if anyone has any ideas or feedback regarding our policy or practice to contact our Business Risk & Quality Assurance Manager.
Local to you
Our regional offices provide national coverage and tailor-made local services.